- For Goa to flourish, sustainable tourism is key
- The economic benefits as well as the social costs of tourism need to be evaluated. As per the annual report of the Union ministry of tourism, Goa accounts for less than 10% of the foreign tourist traffic into the country. On the other hand, some of the most powerful drug cartels from the entire world operate in this territory. The drug trade has now spread from the coastal belt to the hinterland. A crucial priority of the local administration ought to be the elimination of drugs and narcotics from the state. Drug abuse which is largely associated with adults has now trickled down to teenagers with a growing number of school children getting addicted to various narcotics. According to Kripa Foundation, an NGO working in the field of de-addiction in India, several young people have died of drug overdose across Goa.
- The report of the commission, Our Common Future, identified the three fundamental elements of sustainable development, economic, environmental and social. Economic sustainability consists in maintaining growth rate at manageable levels to avoid consumer dissatisfaction, social sustainability refers to society’s ability to absorb tourist arrivals without adversely affecting local well being and values system and environmental sustainability relates to the capacity of the environment to handle tourism without damage.
- In the 60s, tourism was adopted as a key sector for Goa’s development primarily because of its potential to generate employment in a state with an increasingly educated work force and limited industrial growth.
- Information technology enterprises seem to be most suitable for the youth of Goa in view of the rather high literacy rate in the state. Information technology requires smart work rather than hard physical labour. These are the industries of the knowledge society and they will continue to thrive.
- Iran is to restart the activities at the Arak heavy water nuclear reactor, western Iran
- Iran is to restart the activities at the Arak heavy water nuclear reactor,western Iran. The anouncement was made byAli Akbar Salehi, the head of Iran’s Atomic Energy Organization.Heavy water are used in reactors to produce plutonium. Plutonium is a fuel used in nuclear warheads.
- Regarding this US Sanctions on Tehran, a meeting was conducted between Iranian officials and the UK, France and Germany, in Vienna. In the meeting Iran persuaded the European states to provided more effective relief from US sanctions.
The move is after the US’s withdrawal from the 2015 nuclear deal and the introduction of sanctions on Tehran, Iran stopped complying with some commitments in the 2015 nuclear deal.
- Kargil Vijay Diwas: 26 July
- The 20th Anniversary of Kargil Vijay Diwas is being celebrated on 26 July 2019.
- The day is named after the successful Operation Vijay in 1999 when India regained the control of the high outposts which had been stealthily taken over by Pakistan.
- The Kargil war was fought for more than 60 days and ended with India regaining control of all the previously held territory.
- The central theme of this year’s celebrations is ‘Remember, Rejoice and Renew’.
- WhatsApp and NITI Aayog partner to promote women entrepreneurs in India
- NITI Aayog and Facebook-owned WhatsApp, under the aegis of its Women Entrepreneurship Platform (WEP), have announced a partnership to support the growth of a robust ecosystem to promote women entrepreneurs in India.
- They will announce an annual calendar of events aimed at capacity building of women entrepreneurs.
- The initiative would target the registered users of WEP.
- WhatsApp will also partner with the Women Transforming India (WTI) Awards 2019, the flagship initiative of NITI Aayog.
- WhatsApp has decided to provide support amounting to $100,000 to WTI winners.
- UP becomes No. 1 in implementation of Pradhanamntri Suraksha Beema Yojna
- Uttar Pradesh has become number one in implementation of Pradhanamntri Suraksha Beema Yojna in the country.
- 95 crores people have been given insurance cover under the scheme till 31 march 2019.
- The implementation of this ambitious central government scheme started in the state from January 2018 under which people between the age group of 18 to 70 get an accidental insurance cover of rupees 2 lakh by paying a nominal premium of 12 rupees annually.
- Railway’s first printing press heritage gallery opened
- The Western Railway (WR) has thrown open to the public the first printing press heritage gallery of the Indian Railways at Mahalaxmi, Mumbai.
- Western Railway Mahalaxmi General Stores Depot (GSD) has become the first in Indian Railways to portray a heritage gallery of the printing and allied machines used in the Western Railway Printing Press since 1948, which are still in working condition.
- Parcel waybills and railway receipts for all zonal railways of India, along with stationery and money value items required for the Western Railway were printed at this press.
- Centre has approved Deep Ocean Mission
- Centre has approved the Union Ministry of Earth Sciences’ Deep Ocean Mission (DOM). The project plans to explore the deepest recesses of the ocean. It is afive year The cost estimated for the project is Rs.8,000 crore.
- DOM will commence from October 31, 2019. A blueprint of the programme was unveiled by the Ministry last July. One of the proposals is offshore desalination plantthat will work with tidal energy. The projects also proposes to develop a submersible vehicle that can go to a depth of at least 6,000 metres with three people on board.
- The main objective of the mission is to explore the deep ocean. The mission aims to look for metals and minerals. For this project, India has been allotted a site of 75,000 sq. km. in the Central Indian Ocean Basin (CIOB)by the UN International Sea Bed Authority for exploitation of polymetallic nodules (PMN). Various estimations says that 380 million metric tonnes of polymetallic nodules are available at the bottom of the seas in the Central Indian Ocean. India’s Exclusive Economic Zone spreads over 2.2 million sq. km. and in the deep sea, lies unexplored and unutilised.
- GOAPSC Mains Tests and Notes Program 2022
- GOAPSC Prelims Exam 2022- Test Series and Notes Program
- GOAPSC Prelims and Mains Tests Series and Notes Program
- GOAPSC Detailed Complete Prelims Notes